Gentle Dove Ministries International (GDMI) is a ministry dedicated to the Gentleness, Peace, Hope and Love of our Lord Jesus Christ.

6/03/2009

NO MORE GRUMBLING!!!


It’s an epidemic!!! Most of us grumble numerous times during the day about something. It’s one of the most difficult habits to break and one of the most necessary. God has been showing me that even when I’m alone its important what comes out of my mouth.

I guess what I’m talking about is grumbling and complaining. There is power in the spoken word. Deut. 30:19 says, “Today I have given you the choice between life and death, between blessings and curses…….Oh, that you would choose life, so that you and your descendants might live!”(New Living Translation – NLT)

The actual words that come out of our mouths either line up under blessings or under curses. I don’t know about you but I need to be much more careful about what I say.

My worst bout with grumbling used to be in traffic because I thought it was fun and besides nobody could hear me. The Holy Spirit started convicting me about it and now my husband reminds me when I forget (grin), but I think the main reason we shouldn’t grumble is probably our attitude.

I’m doing better at not doing it so much out loud but then we have to change our attitude to one that submits to Christ where we don’t even think about saying those things.

When you look back over Bible history there are all kinds of references where God expresses His dislike and disdain of grumbling.

If you think about it, it probably has to do with love, or the lack of it that upsets God so much. God’s all about justice, fairness, kindness, love, etc, and grumbling doesn’t fit into that pattern.

In Exodus 16:7, God considered their grumbling to be against Him rather than against Moses and Aaron. Yikes, I don’t want to grumble against God!

Numbers 14:27-29 shows how angry God gets with our grumbling. “How long must I put up with this wicked community and its complaints about me? Yes, I have heard the complaints the Israelites are making against me. Now tell them this: ‘As surely as I live, declares the Lord, I will do to you the very things I heard you say, You will all drop dead in this wilderness! Because you complained against me, every one of you who is twenty years old or older and was included in the registration will die.’” (NLT)

The rest of that chapter goes on while God tells them of His anger and the horrible things that will happen to them because of their complaining. I want to really be careful what I say if words and attitude count for so much! Thank goodness for Jesus Christ who saved us from our sins and who hears our prayers of repentance each day as we try to be more like Him.

Start listening to what comes out of your mouth and begin by not saying it out loud. The Lord is more than able to help us over come and to replace our grumbling with an attitude of gratitude.

Shalom,
Marvin and Diana

Thanks to MinistryClipArt for use of the photo.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:50 AM

 
Blogger Deacon and Karen Magill said...

Great reminder!!!!

8:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home